Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Denali's 7!




7 years ago today I was entering the labor and delivery unit of Providence hospital in Anchorage, AK. The reality and uncertainty of parenthood still not within my grasp. We were full of excitement and a good dose of healthy fear. I had a great pregnancy and enjoyed every part of it, even the morning sickness. We would talk to the baby, Jesse would rub my belly nightly with a cocoa butter bar and watch my growing tummy as the baby moved and kicked. I had longed for a baby and now was about to know the joy of birth. I was strapped with machines and tubes, which I didn't understand the logic in all that but looked past it to the result. I had music playing in the background and focused on a tape case set up on the wall. Family would come and go. My parents stayed through it all. I think that relieved Jesse, who had to go for a drink of water/coke, not sure what but after seeing the nurse put an IV in my arm he went white real quick! I asked him to get get some air so that he could help me later. Labor progressed slowly and wouldn't you know it the doctor suggested pitocin and a epideral when I was 7 cm. Looking back it now I wish I would have just told him no and went with the flow. Oh well, by 6pm that evening our beautiful baby girl was born and the rest didn't matter. I have heard mothers and there admoration of their children at this moment, but got to experience ,first hand, the immensity of that emotion and extreme love a person can have for another human being.
The last 7 years I have cherished and stored away many memories of this miracle I call Denali. She is imaginative, exploratory, spirited, creative, and a blessing. I am thankful to be called her mother and feel unworthy of such a task but know that God is giving me what she needs to be who she is called to be. So here's to Denali and the years to come!
Happy Birthday

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails